cron - error starting a service

David Rekas David.Rekas@optus.com.au
Tue Sep 26 04:23:00 GMT 2006

Thanks Pierre, your first suggestion has got this over the line. Given
that this development is for a dedicated machine with a single generic
username I will stick with the "myself" option for the time being.

The interesting thing is I just managed to configure, successfully start
the cron service, and run scheduled tasks with my username which
contains a space.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pierre A. Humblet [mailto:Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org]
Sent: Friday, 22 September 2006 00:07
To: David Rekas; Harig, Mark; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: cron - error starting a service

I am stumped and can only suggest some debugging. Here are some ideas:

- Can you start cron running as yourself (option in cron-config) ?
  Remember, cron won't process users with spaces, but the daemon
  should keep running.

- Can you start anything under cygrunsrv? For example a bash script
located
  in /usr/sbin that writes into some file in /var/log, sleeps for 10 s,
then exits

- Run as SYSTEM. Ways to do that have been posted on the list. My usual
way
  is to have inetd running with telnetd enabled. Temporarily clear the
SYSTEM
  password field in /etc/password and specify a home dir and a shell for
SYSTEM,
  then telnet into localhost as SYSTEM.
  Try to launch cron from the shell and see if there is any error
message.

I will be away for the next 10 days, so don't expect feedback from me
past this PM.

Pierre