Speeding up Cygwin deployment

Vinod Gupta vinod@Princeton.EDU
Tue Sep 26 04:59:00 GMT 2006

On 9/25/2006 9:03 AM, Vinod Gupta wrote:
> >> C:\cygwin\usr\share\man\man1\allec.1
> >> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\doc\html\atobm.1.html
> [...]
> I am wondering:
> Why would they set these html files as System files?
> Why info-zip (or probably any DOS app) can't restore them??
> Why WinXP's internal unzipper goes an order of magnitude slower if the
> archive has S files???
>
> Thanks,
> Vinod

As I said earlier, I am trying to deploy Cygwin on 100 WinXP machines by
zipping C:\cygwin from a reference machine and unzipping the archive on
100 targets. It works but unzipping is painfully slow (takes 45 minutes
instead of 4-5).

A little deeper look shows that WinXP's builtin unzipper spends almost
all the time in the following three folders:

C:\cygwin\usr\share\doc\
C:\cygwin\usr\share\qt3\doc\
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\doc\

I don't need any documentation for Cygwin, nor man pages nor user guides
particularly when these three folders constitute only 10% of the total
Cygwin disk space but take 90% of the time to unzip. I tried excluding
cygwin-doc and the setup stalled at the end of download at
_update-info-dir package with an error "Download incomplete, retry?"
Retry failed too. It seems there are some dependencies problems. Which
packages should I exclude from installation on the reference machine?

Vinod