Bash 3.1.17(8) CR/LF problem

Malcolm Nixon malcolm.nixon@gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 20:55:00 GMT 2006

Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>>      * Some translate files to a "Local" format (CR/LF on Windows).
> Perforce will do this if you let it.  Or you can set the LineEnd option
> for the client to be Unix or Share.

This was in fact my original patch attempt, however it had the following
problems:
   * You can only set this option for an entire ClientSpec, not
individual files.
   * Some editors (Notepad & Crimson Editor) don't support just LF.
   * Perforce messes up files on check-in. We haven't tracked down the exact
     cause yet, but some files modified on systems with LineEnd=unix are
     being fetched with only LF on systems with LineEnd=local.

Basically we can't 'infect' a mostly Windows source-tree with LF
terminated files, whether the LFs are only resident on peoples local
Windows boxes, or checked in to the Perforce repository.