bash 3.1.18 seems seriously broken

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri Sep 29 15:04:00 GMT 2006

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Eric Blake on 9/27/2006 7:02 PM:
>> change the script to ignore whitespace (make the first non-comment line
>> set IFS appropriately, as in this snippet:
>> IFS=' ''	''
>> '
>
> I retract this third suggestion.  On investigation of the bash source,
> bash still treats \r as a non-IFS-whitespace, so while it has some effect,
> it is not a complete way to ignore \r\n line endings.
>
> I may still be able to add a cygwin-specific shopt for this, but recommend
> a text mount in the meantime if you are forced to use \r\n endings.

While I still think this is probably the best solution (and should be
less of a performance hit on binary, right? You still read buffered, and
just discard '\r' in parsing, yes?), I wouldn't make it Cygwin-specific.
At minimum, I /know/ this also affects Interix (and again, you should
check with Rodney; I think he's already done half the work), and - being
a shopt that has to be manually enabled - there might be a handful of
people that would appreciate having this option on other UNIX's.

Anyway, that's my $0.02...

--
Matthew
My preferred shell is Christian. It's Bourne Again.