cygwin detection

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri Sep 29 15:25:00 GMT 2006

Kenneth Nellis wrote:
> Couldn't find anything relevant in the archives or the documentation...
>
> I have bash scripts that I want to run identically under Cygwin and
> Linux, which sometimes require the scripts to detect the environment
> and branch accordingly. There are numerous ways to do Cygwin detection,
> but I was wondering what technique should work with the widest audience
> and be most immune to future Cygwin developments.
>
> FWIW, below are various techniques that work for *me* *today*, some of
> which have obvious flaws.
>
> if [ -f /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll ]; then
> if [ $CYGWIN_ROOT ]; then
> if [ $OSTYPE = cygwin ]; then
> if [ $(uname -s | grep -c CYGWIN) -gt 0 ]; then
> if [ $(grep -c cygwin <<< ${BASH_VERSINFO[5]}) -gt 0 ]; then
> if is_cygwin; then    # where is_cygwin is a locally-built C program
>                       # that tests #ifdef __CYGWIN__

Well, FWIW I've always used a combination of '#ifdef __CYGWIN__' and
uname (basically, the former when compiling C and the latter in
scripts)... of course, both of those are only really testing if gcc and
uname (respectively) are pointing at Cygwin versions. I would say that
99% of the time though 'uname' will work; basically it will only fail if
you have an Interix/MKS/MinGW 'uname' in PATH, but you can always check
for those as well to distinguish "real UNIX" from "UNIX on Windows". If
anyone builds a 'uname' on a Windows system that tells you 'Linux', they
deserve what they get. :-) I'd be inclined to say that anyone with a
system where 'uname' is wrong deserves to have things break.

If you *know* you are running bash, you can also check if it is MinGW by
testing if $BASH starts with '/' (at least, I assume it would be a DOS
path on MinGW, and MKS doesn't have bash). But this won't distinguish
Cygwin from Interix.

--
Matthew
My preferred shell is Christian. It's Bourne Again.