mssing packages for cygwin

Eric Blake ericblake@comcast.net
Sat Sep 30 00:40:00 GMT 2006

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.what-packages

> I have found the packages to install.
> However, when I type cpp.exe in msdos shell, I got the error:
>
> cpp: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or directory

Then you didn't install it.  Rerun setup.exe, select gcc from the
list of packages, and you should be able to install it.

> Also,  I searched all packages and unable to find the man documentions for C
> functions.
> for example, I typed "man fopen", and it doesn't display anything. Do you
> know which package contains the C functions manuals like what we have in
> unix?

In general, the answer to your question of 'which package contains this
file?' is 'cygcheck -p regex'.  For example, 'cygcheck -p fopen.[0-9]'
shows that you are likely to find a man page for fopen in the cygwin-doc
package, again something you can select from setup.exe.

But be aware that cygwin does not have a complete set of man
pages; it is a volunteer project, and not all the pages are as well
maintained as Linux, which has more volunteers, or in a paid
Unix solution, where you are getting value-added from the vendor.

By the way, if you had followed these directions:

and included the output of 'cygcheck -svr' as a text attachment,
we would know for sure which packages you had installed, or
if you had other installation problems.

Hence our admonitions to read the FAQ.  People get tired of
answering the same questions when the answer is already
a click or two away on the website.

--
Eric Blake