1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

Elliston, Jack W CTR USA TRADOC NSC Jack.Elliston@us.army.mil
Tue Apr 3 17:44:00 GMT 2007

OK.  Now I am bit confused.

I am not trying to run a service on the remote cygwin box and so I don't
see how I would 'check the "Allow service to interact with the desktop"
checkbox' or why I would use the cygrunsrv application.

I just need to run the java app on machine 2 via a ssh connection from
machine 1.  I want the app to display it gui on machine 2.

I don't really even think the Xserver is required since the app runs on
machine 2 when launched on machine 2 without an Xserver installed.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Peshansky [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:30 PM
To: Dave Korn
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com; Elliston, Jack W CTR USA TRADOC NSC
Subject: RE: 1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 03 April 2007 17:57, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > There is no Cygwin version of Java.  Therefore, you're starting a
> > Windows version of Java, which is not an X application.  You will
> > not be able to forward the display
>
>   He doesn't want to.  He wants the display to appear on the same
> remote machine where the java process is being launched.

So he does.  Then he'll just need to check the "Allow service to
interact with the desktop" checkbox in the service properties (or use
the -i cygrunsrv flag).  Unless he uses privilege separation, in which
case he's out of luck (as this option is only available for services
running as "system").
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_	    pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu |

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis
Joplin