[Packaging error] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw-runtime-3.12-1

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 4 15:13:00 GMT 2007

Igor Peshansky wrote:

>>> Yes, it was, but I don't remember concluding that putting them in
>>> /usr/man was the solution.  Please either don't install them at all or
>>> put them in a mingw-specific location.
>> Sorry, I must have come to the wrong conclusion.  I had thought that
>> since Cygwin by default installs man pages to /usr/share/man
>> installing the MinGW specific man pages in /usr/man as long as they
>> were prefixed with 'mingw-' was OK.  This allows users to do a 'man
>> mingw-dirname' without having to modify their MANPATH.
>>
>> If it's desired that they not be included, I'll produce an updated
>> release with them removed.
>
> IMO, if they are already prefixed by "mingw-", they can go into
> /usr/share/man -- there's no chance they'll be confused with Cygwin's
> manpages.  But perhaps we should move this discussion to -apps, and inform
> this list of the final decision.

Disclaimer: I don't really pay attention to the mingw man pages (but I
agree they should not be "found" by default).

Anyway, here's a thought that might be useful (unfortunately it seems to
need a change to man to work nicely*); rather than prefixing pages, add
them to a 'mingw' section. This way you can find them with 'man -S mingw
<page>', and users that felt so inclined could add 'mingw' to their MANSECT.

Naturally, you could use symlinks to do this *and* prefix them.

(* 'man mingw <page>' does not work, it seems -S must be used :-(.)

--
Matthew
"Will somebody get this walking carpet out of my way?!" -- Princess Leia