Burning ISO's to CD with Cygwin

Grok Mogger linuximp@gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:38:00 GMT 2007

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Grok Mogger wrote:
>
>>         I recently wanted to burn an ISO to a CD on my Windows machine.
>>   So where did I turn first?  Cygwin!  But much to my dismay, I
>> don't seem to have cdrecord or wodim.  I couldn't seem to find
>> the packages anywhere using 'cygcheck -p $whatever', just
>> looking through the GUI setup, or even with Google.  What
>> package do I need to install?  Are these tools really not in the
>> distribution?  If so, why not?
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00142.html
>
> --

Thanks for the link.  I'm not completely sure I followed
everything in that thread, so I'd just like to see if I have
this straight.

cdrecord is completely open source.  But the author of cdrecord,
"Joerg", took the cdrecord source, and added some code to it to
make "ProDVD", a similar software package that will also burn
DVD's.  This package is completely free and even available as
binaries for Cygwin, but the author won't release the additional
source code that makes it work its DVD burning magic.

So the Cygwin maintainers won't allow cdrecord or ProDVD into
Cygwin.  Even though cdrecord is still completely free and open
source.

Do have that right?