Setup.exe version @ cygwin.com

Mon Apr 9 17:18:00 GMT 2007

LDR wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> LDR wrote:
>>> Since there seems to be "some traffic" on which version of setup.exe is
>>> causing (or not) which problems, might it not be a good idea to include
>>> the version number of setup.exe with the link to the binary on the next
>>> version of setup.exe?
>> This has been discussed before.  IMO, I don't think putting the version
>> anywhere other than the first page of the app is going to help much.  If
>> someone can't find the version on the first page, they are likely to have
>> problems finding it in the path or executable name.  It is a potential
>> area for a synchronization problem, which would cause more confusion.
>>
>  At the web site: Cygwin.com!

I'll agree with Dave that your terse reply leaves a little to the
imagination but I'll take a stab anyway.  I'll interpret the above to
mean that you want to see the version number listed next to the link(s)
on the main page at cygwin.com.  I guess this would let people know
exactly which version they're downloading.  There's still the issue of
synchronization.  And unless the user remembers this information and
can provide it when requested, it don't see an advantage to having it on
the web site.  Users aren't generally interesting in this information.
The only time it might come up is when there is a problem which may be
affected by the version that was run.  In that case, the version that's
currently on the web site is irrelevant.  It may have changed since
the user ran it last.  I may be missing something but I don't see a problem
that would be solved by posting the 'setup.exe' version on the web site.
That said, if the site and setup maintainers decide this is something they
want to add, I'm not against it.  I'm just not sure it resolves a problem
in the category you were suggesting.

Holliston, MA 01746