Suggestion for run (with patch)

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon Apr 9 21:04:00 GMT 2007

"Adye, TJ (Tim)" wrote:

> Also, since the run package is now part of Cygwin (and doesn't seem to
> be maintained elsewhere), it seems an unnecessary confusion to maintain
> two branches. If you really don't like having anything not linked with
> cygwin1.dll as part of the distribution, then how about taking the
> source-code updates and leaving the extra executable out of the
> distribution - though that would be a pity for people like me who find
> this the best way to start Cygwin programs.
>
> As I said before, run-native.exe doesn't need to live in /usr/bin, and
> could be called something else. But it is convenient to have available
> as a way to start Cygwin programs (I have been looking to releasing some
> other software to help with this, but I'm still tidying that up...).

If you really want a compromise solution, you could modify run to not
depend on cygwin1.dll at link-time but instead LoadLibrary() it at
runtime, and if that fails fall back to whatever the native version
would have done.  Thus you get a single executable that understands
posix paths if the DLL is in the PATH and still allows to you "run
c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe" (or whatever it is that you're currently doing)
if the DLL is not in the PATH.  Though that itself may cause
confusion...

Brian