Newlines in cygwin help please...

Kevin Markle kmarkle@pbs.org
Thu Apr 12 18:41:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn brought next idea :
> On 12 April 2007 19:19, Kevin Markle wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm sending text to a files via echo on 5 different lines in a shell
>> script | using u2d command to convert it to a dos format and then
>> sending it to my email. The text comes out as on big stream instead of
>> each echo "Text us here" going on its own line? Is there a way to get
>> each line to start from the far left as a newline?
>>
>> Any ideas would be great!
>
>   Yes, the bug is on line 17 of your script.
>
>   Alternatively, if psychic debugging doesn't fix it, perhaps you'd care to
> give us just the /slightest/ clue about what you're /actually/ doing, such as
> a testcase or example script that shows the problem?  What you're trying
> ought to work, give-or-take, so you've probably misimplemented it in some
> way.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

echo "Number of Clients in $GROUP:"$NUMCLIENTS  >>
$DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
echo "Number of Clients in $GROUP:"$NUMCLIENTS
echo "Number of ASR Atempts for $GROUP:"$ASRATTEMPTED  >>
$DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
echo "Number of ASR Atempts for $GROUP:"$ASRATTEMPTED
echo "Number of Successfull ASR Backups for $GROUP:"$ASRSUCCESS >>
$DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
echo "Number of Successfull ASR Backups for $GROUP:"$ASRSUCCESS
echo "Number of Clients successfully reporting to the WSUS server for
$GROUP:"$CLIENTSREPORTING >> $DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
echo "Number of Clients successfully reporting to the WSUS server for
$GROUP:"$CLIENTSREPORTING
echo "Number of Clients Scheduled for Updates for $GROUP:"$CLIENTSSCHED
 >> $DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
echo "Number of Clients Scheduled for Updates for $GROUP:"$CLIENTSSCHED

u2d $DIR/"$GROUP".rpt
u2d $DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt
#REPORT=`cat $DIR/"$GROUP".rpt`
cat $DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt $DIR/"$GROUP".rpt > "$GROUP"_summary.rpt
#REPORT=`cat $DIR/"$GROUP".rpt | cat $DIR/"$GROUP"_header.rpt`
u2d $DIR/"$GROUP"_summary.rpt
REPORT=`cat $DIR/"$GROUP"_summary.rpt`

Get me this:

Number of Clients in group1a_dev:20  Number of ASR Attempts for
group1a_dev:30  Number of Successfull ASR Backups for group1a_dev:0
Number of Clients successfully reporting to the WSUS server for
group1a_dev:20  Number of Clients Scheduled for Updates for
group1a_dev:0