problem with globs using curly brackets and ^

Jens Rasmussen jsrm@diku.dk
Thu Apr 19 13:34:00 GMT 2007

Hi

I'm having a problem with globs using curly brackets and ^.
I've searched the web+forum with no luck, so I'm sorry if an answer
aleardy exists.

I've tried the commands on a linux environment and they worked fine + I've
read elsewhere that they should work in cygwin.
So I assume that my config is wrong. I'm using bash 3.2.15(13)-release
(i686-pc-cygwin) and I've just updated all packages.

THE PROBLEM (using ls for illustration):

$ ls
Desktop.ini  doc    optimering  test.txt
bin          music  spaceninja

FOLLOWING WORKS:

$ ls -d {Desk*,doc*}
Desktop.ini  doc

BUT: (I assume that the following is because it normally makes no sense)

$ ls -d {Desk*}
ls: cannot access {Desk*}: No such file or directory

AND: (my actual problem)

$ ls ^doc
ls: cannot access ^doc: No such file or directory

$ ls -d ^{Desk*,doc*}
ls: cannot access ^Desk*: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access ^doc*: No such file or directory

- And yes, I'm a Linux/UNIX/Cygwin newb!

Regards
Jens Rasmussen