zsh on Vista

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Mon Apr 23 17:29:00 GMT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, sethk wrote:

> I've had some success using a different version of zsh on vista.
>
> In the UnxUtils package, there is a version of zsh, named sh.  (Not copied
> or linked to zsh, for whatever reason, and, I should say, named sh.exe.)

Two things:
1) that's a win32 native exe, not a cygwin exe.
2) named 'sh' it will run with a 'sh' compatable set of functionality.

> I created a shortcut for this executable.  It mostly works.  I'm having some
> issues, such as relative paths not working as expected, but that's not
> surprising.
>
> Note that running this exe from cygwin bash doesn't work.  As already noted,
> running the cygwin version of zsh doesn't work.
>
> I'm currently rebuilding zsh, under cygwin, to see if a version built under
> vista behaves any better than the binary distributed with cygwin.

What version?  I'm building the latest 4.3.4 for cygwin right now, but
there are issues with it, even on Win2k.

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>