Throwing c++ exception across threads

Eric Lilja mindcooler@gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:49:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 25 April 2007 15:20, Eric Lilja wrote:
>
>> When the user of the program connects to an irc server a thread is
>> spawned that handles communication with the irc server. Any messages are
>> displayed in an editbox. If a severe error occurs, an exception is
>> thrown. Will there be any problems if I catch these exceptions in the
>> main thread? The things is that the connection code may cause an
>> exception and I want to run that in the connection thread so the UI
>> doesn't freeze while it's waiting for an connection attempt to time-out
>> for instance.
>
>   How exactly do you propose to "throw an exception across threads" anyway?
> You can't spawn a thread inside a try-catch block and expect that block to
> apply to the new thread....
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Right, I moved the connection code inside the thread func. There it
checks for exceptions made during the connection and ends the thread
(and displaying an error message) if one occurs. If one does not occur,
it starts handling messages till the connection is closed or an
exception occurs.

This seems to work without freezing.

- Eric