libusb-win32 auto-install?

Morgan Gangwere 0.fractalus@gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 01:53:00 GMT 2007

On 4/22/07, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault(no spam)ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> Dave Korn, le Mon 23 Apr 2007 02:43:41 +0100, a écrit :
> >   Or you could follow the model of the ioperm package, which requires you to
> > manually run "ioperm -i" to install the .sys file.
> >
> Brian Dessent, le Sun 22 Apr 2007 18:44:50 -0700, a écrit :
> > I think it would be very bad to install a (kernel-mode) driver by
> > default without any action of the user just because they selected a
> > package to install.
> >
> > > Maybe I could ship two separate packages: one for the library and one
> > > for the driver, and automatically install the driver at postinstall of
> > > the second package.
> >
> > That sounds ugly, why can't the user just run foo-config like every
> > other package that requires configuration?
>
> Currently, I'm indeed requiring the user to run /usr/sbin/libusb-install
> by hand (and uninstall is automatically called on package removal).
>
> So we should stay this way, ok.
>
> Samuel
>
> --

(just adding another idea to the pool)
why not just include a REALLY simple application that asks "install
libusb driver (Y/n)?"
wouldnt that be another simple route? just put it in the postinstall
or at the first bash run.

btw, daveK, your welcome.
--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.