ImageMagick "display" and "convert" fail with a Visual C++ runtime error

Dmitry Golovaty dmitry@math.uakron.edu
Mon Apr 30 19:50:00 GMT 2007

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Dmitry Golovaty wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Igor.
>>

>>> PATH is usually processed left-to-right.  As an alternative to what
>>> Brian suggested, simply prepending C:\cygwin\bin to the PATH should
>>> work.
>>>
>> C:\cygwin\bin has been in the PATH all the time; the problem seems to
>> have been that the PATH statement contained a MATLAB directory somewhere
>> in the middle which caused some conflict between the libraries that
>> loaded.
>>

> Notice, I said "prepend", which means "put in the front".  In your case,
> it was in the end of the path, and was overridden by the preceding MATLAB
> directory.

I did notice that you said "prepend" ... the same error occurred
independent of whether the statement was at the beginning or at the end
of the PATH.

>>> FWIW, the above is already done in the standard shell startup scripts,
>>> so unless you're using custom .*rc scripts, you probably attempted to
>>> invoke ImageMagick from a Windows command prompt.  One word of warning
>>> for working in that mode: some of the programs in /bin are symbolic
>>> links or scripts that Windows does not understand.  You're better off
>>> invoking Cygwin programs from a Cygwin shell, unless you're sure they
>>> are .exe files.
>>>
>> I am using standard rc scripts and was invoking ImageMagick from xterm
>> ... I have added a path-modifying statement suggested by Brian to
>> .profile that removed the win32 Matlab directory from the PATH and this
>> solved the problem.
>>

> This is weird.  The /etc/profile that comes with the base-files package
> prepends /usr/bin to the PATH already.  My only guess is that you started
> the xterm with bash as a non-login shell.  Try running "xterm -e bash -l"
> instead.

Tried it - seems to make no difference ...

Thanks again,

Dmitry