Launching TightVNC over ssh using cygwin

Wed Aug 1 13:29:00 GMT 2007

On Aug  1 08:39, Daniel Griscom wrote:
> I'm using TightVNC on a remote windows machine for maintenance
> purposes, communicating via an ssh tunnel (sshd installed using
> cygwin).
>
> Everything works when I start TightVNC as a Windows service, but I'd
> like to leave TightVNC turned completely off, and only launch it when
> I need it. To do that I need to be able to launch it from an ssh
> command line.
>
> I can ssh in and use cygstart to launch TightVNC, but then when I try
> to connect to TightVNC the connection is refused. Here's the TightVNC
> log (first four lines is when I launched TightVNC; rest is my
> attempted connection):
> [...]
> >vncServer.cpp:  failed to initialize desktop object
   That's a hint.

It's not Cygwin, it's how you started the sshd service.  If you want to
start native applications from sshd, which are supposed to access the
console window, you have to start the service with the "Interact with
desktop" flag set.  See cygrunsrv's -i option (cygrunsrv --help).

Please note that this won't work under Vista anymore due to new security
settings in Vista.

Corinna

Red Hat