OpenSSH services stops after 14 seconds

Carlo Florendo subscribermail@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:19:00 GMT 2007

Craib, Andrew wrote:
> I've got 2 Win2003 SP1 servers where Open SSH appears to have installed correctly. The service will start, run for 14 seconds and then stop. The sshd.log file shows the following
>
>      54 [main] sshd 1404 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 2
> 6979793 [main] sshd 1404 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 2
> 109149055 [main] sshd 1404 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 2
> 128493717 [main] sshd 1404 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 2
> 205926934 [main] sshd 1404 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 2
> c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv: You must specify one of the `-IRSE' options
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Among other things, this path looks anomalous but if you really installed
Cygwin under c:\ssh, that's fine.

> Try `c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
> c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv: You must specify one of the `-IRSE' options
> Try `c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
> c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv: You must specify one of the `-IRSE' options
> Try `c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
> c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv: You must specify one of the `-IRSE' options
> Try `c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
> c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv: You must specify one of the `-IRSE' options
> Try `c:\ssh\bin\cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
>
> Anybody seen this before and know of a solution?

You've given incomplete information regarding your setup.  How do you
invoke the ssh daemon from Cygwin?  Did you follow the instructions at
/usr/share/doc/openssh/?

For us to be able to help you, please take a look at this URL (which is
found at the bottom of all mails sent to this list):

and please note especially the part that talks about providing cygcheck
output.  In that way, it would hopefully be easier to zero-in to your problem.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City