how to run "make check" (bug in FAQ)

zooko zooko@zooko.com
Sun Aug 12 18:20:00 GMT 2007

Folks:

In order to test a patch for cygwin that I wrote, I've been following
the directions to build cygwin myself, from http://cygwin.com/
faq.html "How do I build Cygwin on my own?".

It worked to build, and then I wanted to run the tests, so followed
these directions:

 > To check a cygwin1.dll, run "make check" in the winsup/testsuite
directory.

The first problem is that src/winsup/testsuite doesn't have a
Makefile.  However, the it has a Makefile.in, so I build a Makefile
from that...

Okay, the next problem is that src/winsup/testsuite/configure is not
executable.

After chmod +x ./configure and executing "./configure --prefix=/oss/
install", then there is a Makefile, but when I run "make check", it
fails with:

 > make: *** No rule to make target `/oss/src/winsup/cygwin/
Makefile', needed by `/oss/src/winsup/cygwin/cygwin0.dll'.  Stop.

I see that /oss/src/winsup/cygwin/ contains a Makefile.in but no
Makefile, so I ran the same "./configure" command line in that
directory, then returned to /oss/src/winsup/testsuite and ran "make
check" again.

Now it ends with

 > make [1]: *** No rule to make target '/oss/src/winsup/w32api/lib/
libkernel32.a', needed by `cygwin0.dll'.  Stop.

I don't immediately see how to build that lib, and it is also
apparent that I've left the beaten track, so I'm submitting this e-
mail and awaiting clarification of the "make check" process.

Thanks!

Regards

Zooko