Installer tasks

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Fri Aug 17 13:34:00 GMT 2007

On 17 August 2007 13:57, phil long wrote:

> George <george <at> alink.co.za> writes:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Assuming I wish to copy the c:\cygwin\ directory from one computer to
>> another, are there any further utilities/updates which I need to do to
>> ensure it works correctly?
>>
>> I have create a script which redoes the mount points (mount -m).
>>
>> Is there anything further which I need to do?
>>
>> Advice/pointers to documentation appreciated.
>>
>> George
>>

> Assuming that the mounts are the same, that should be enough to run
> most applications (fileutils, etc.).

  And if they aren't, run "mount -m > cmds.txt" on one machine, then copy it
to the other and run "sh < cmds.txt".

  The other thing that would need redoing is reconfiguring any installed
services, preferably by running the proper *-host-config.sh scripts.

  Oh, and you'll almost certainly need to regenerate /etc/passwd and
/etc/groups.

  Then, of course, you might need to adjust a bunch of file ownerships.

  This is why most people recommend just copying across the local packages
dir, and running setup.exe on the new machine telling it to "install from
local package dir".  There's a fairly open-ended and underspecified list of
things you'd have to fix up manually if you try to copy the whole install
across.

    cheers,
      DaveK