Fw: clear

PDeRochambeau@iht.com PDeRochambeau@iht.com
Mon Aug 20 10:10:00 GMT 2007

Hello,

when you search for "ncurses" in the Cygwin Package List of the cygwin.com
website, two ncurses packages appear:

- ncurses-5.5-2
- ncurses-5.5-3

However, neither of these packages in available in Setup.exe. Only
libncurses libraries are available, and they are already installed on my
computer.

Philippe

Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
Sent by: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
08/20/2007 11:48 AM
Please respond to
cygwin@cygwin.com

cygwin@cygwin.com
cc

Subject
Re: Fw: clear

PDeRochambeau@iht.com wrote:

> In Cygwin Package List, it says that clear was removed and that ncurses
> should be used instead (?). However, libncurses7 and libncurses8 ARE
> installed on my machine, according to setup.exe, which means, I guess,
> that ncurses is installed.

No, it means that libncurses is installed.  There is also a 'ncurses'
package, and that is what contains the clear command.  (You can look
this up yourself using the Package Search page.)

The reasoning for why packages are split like this has many reasons.
For one thing, it allows library versioning, where you have multiple
packages compiled against multiple versions of the library.  For
another, it allows installing just the binary runtime components of a
library, without pulling in all the other nonessential parts just
because the user happened to have installed a package that is linked
against that library.  And that is just what has happened in this case.

Brian