Location problem with init.tcl

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Fri Aug 24 13:25:00 GMT 2007

I'm getting an error message using Tcl/Tk:

Application initialization failed
Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
/share/tcl8.4  /usr/local/share/tcl8.4  /library /usr/local/library

NB there is no directory /share/ and no directory /library/ in Cygwin,
though there are directories /usr/share/ and /usr/lib/ (ie /lib/)

In fact init.tcl is in /usr/share/tcl8.4.

This problem was last referred to this year at

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/insight/2007-q1/msg00027.html

and the poster hypothesised that "Probably the correct values for
--sharedir, --prefix, or whatever are not being sent to the tcl builds".

I thought I might cope by copying init.tcl to one of the searched
directories, but simply found myself moving further along the error
trajectory, this time to a "invalid command name tcl_findLibrary" failure.

Is the conjecture that there's something adrift with --sharedir or
--prefix in the tcl builds a correct one (or a likely one) and is this
something that could be addressed?

Thank you.

Fergus