How do I make scripts my PC executable

Frank Fesevur ffes@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 30 10:24:00 GMT 2007

Gary Johnson wrote:
>>   The first time you do that, windows will complain it doesn't know what to do
>> with a sh file, and offer you the choice of looking up on the web or selecting
>> from a list which program you want to open .sh files with; choose the
>> select-from-a-list option, when the list appears click the browse button, find
>> your way to cygwin\bin\bash.exe and select that.  Make sure "Always use this
>> program" is ticked, enter a nice descriptive name such as "Bash script" in the
>> description box, OK it and away you go!
>
> That won't run the script in the same environment that it would get
> when run from a Cygwin login shell, though, will it?  I would think
> the program might have to be a .bat file that contains something
> like this (untested):
>
>    C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c %1

Last year I wrote app (weft) that allows you to double-click a .sh file
in the Windows Explorer to start the script, a bit similar to the chere
package. I basically does the registry settings mentioned above.

Even tried to make it a package, but since nobody was interested in it I
never continued.

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-03/msg00311.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-10/msg00029.html

If anyone is interested, I have put the archived of 0.4-1 back on-line.
That version works reasonably well with local and mounted drives. It has
problems with UNC paths.

Regards,
Frank