1.5.24 format.com hangs through ssh

srp sean_pierce@symantec.com
Wed Dec 5 18:17:00 GMT 2007

After a bit of searching I stumbled upon windbg and process explorer.
This is fun but out of my league. There is lots information on windbg
but I could sure use some help.  I feel like muggle with a wand.

windbg stack after answering "Proceed with Format (Y/N)?" is
0:002> ~*
    0  Id: 5bc.ce0 Suspend: 1 Teb: 7ffdf000 Unfrozen
       Start: format!mainCRTStartup (010067ea)
0:001> ~0s
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
7c8285ec c3              ret
0:000> k
ChildEBP RetAddr
0006f748 7c82776b ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
0006f74c 77e418b2 ntdll!NtReadFile+0xc
0006f7b4 71f8b9ba kernel32!ReadFile+0x16c
0006f7dc 71f84ea8 ulib!PIPE_STREAM::FillBuffer+0x3c
0006f820 71f8523c ulib!BUFFER_STREAM::GetBuffer+0x30
0006f898 71f8c72c ulib!BUFFER_STREAM::ReadString+0x44
0006f8d4 71f8c857 ulib!STREAM_MESSAGE::ReadLine+0x5c
0006f934 01005b8c ulib!STREAM_MESSAGE::IsYesResponse+0x70
0006ff44 01006919 format!main+0x992
0006ffc0 77e6f23b format!mainCRTStartup+0x12f
0006fff0 00000000 kernel32!BaseProcessStart+0x23
0:002> ~1s
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
7c8285ec c3              ret
0:001> k
ChildEBP RetAddr
0067fea0 7c827cfb ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
0067fea4 7c80e5bb ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc
0067ff48 7c80e4a2 ntdll!EtwpWaitForMultipleObjectsEx+0xf7
0067ffb8 77e64829 ntdll!EtwpEventPump+0x27f
0067ffec 00000000 kernel32!BaseThreadStart+0x34t

I am unable to step into ~0 without hitting the hang.

I am able to trace into ~1 after waiting a bit for the initial step to
complete. ~1 seems to be spinning un-checked.  I see what seems to be a
regular repeated pattern of cmds here.

Process Explorer prior to "Proceed with Format (Y/N)?" PE shows the that
the thread stack is:
    format.com+<address>
    ntdll.dll!RtlSetLastWin32ErrorAndNtStatusFromNtStatus+0x59

After answering (Y/N)? ntdll.dll! goes away.

No new threads start and the format stack does not change.  The state
continues to be Wait:Executive and no user or kernel time accumulates.
Am I missing the thread seen in windbg or am I stuck in the kernel
somewhere?

Blah! Does anyone have context in this area that might help?

Thanks

-srp