Installing on a Samba share drive

Tom Leonard tom@hawaiian.net
Wed Dec 5 21:08:00 GMT 2007


Hi,

I created a Samba share on my Debian system, mapped it to a drive letter 
on my XP Home system and did a full network install of Cygwin on the 
root of the mapped drive.  When I tried to use Cygwin to compile some 
programs, I found that a number of the symbolic links from the install 
(eg all of the low level .exe's like am.exe from gcc) could not be 
found.  While I could manually create the necessary symbolic links, it 
was impossible to know what exactly was broken.  I resolved the issue by 
"uninstalling" from the Samba drive and reinstalling on a local XP drive.

Can anyone shed some light on why the symbolic links might be broken.  
Because I need to support different library configurations, I'd like to 
use the technique of maintaining a number of different Cygwin 
environments on my Debian system where I have lots of disk space, and 
map to XP as and when needed.

Thanks,

Tom

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list