Wish Setup would accept my Perl

Jevin Sweval jevinsweval@gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:26:00 GMT 2007

At work, we develop using both Cygwin's perl and AS's perl (we
distribute our app to people without Cygwin but with ActivePerl). The
reason for using two different perls is to be able to test for
regressions between them. If a regression is found, it means that
we've made some incorrect assumption or that we found some
implementation specific behavior that we need to watch out for. We've
written the perl scripts in a manner that should make them portable
--- we manage paths by checking $^O and using `cygpath` accordingly.
To handle launching either perl, our team has made a symlink from the
AS `perl` to `perl-as` that is in our PATH. Thus, we can invoke either
`perl` to get Cygwin's perl or `perl-as` to get AS's perl. This is
also necessary because we utilize SWIG and it needs to know what perl
to link against when building. When an end user invokes our program,
it will fire up using `perl` which is probably AS perl but it could be
Cygwin's perl. Either one works fine (we have some DynaLoader magic to
load the appropriate SWIG binary modules) and everyone is happy.

-Jevin Sweval