mmap failing

Wayne Christopher wayne@4raccoons.com
Fri Dec 14 21:56:00 GMT 2007

I have a 268MB file open for writing.  I close it and then
immediately try to mmap() it, and a get ENOMEM.  However I do have the
VM space available and can malloc() the size of the file right after the
failure.  Also, I have mmap()'ed other similar files in the same program
before this, but these had not just been closed.

My initial guess was that it was timing related, but if I wait for 5
seconds and try again I still get the failure.

I wasn't able to duplicate it in a small example since my app has a
bunch of threads and is doing other stuff at the same time.

Any suggestions for solutions or workarounds?  Maybe strategic use of
fsync() ?

Thanks,

     Wayne