sshd problem on Windows 2003

Len Jacobs ljacobs@mandala-designs.com
Sun Dec 16 19:35:00 GMT 2007

I know there have been postings regarding the issues with sshd on
Windows 2003 64-bit servers, but I cannot locate a definitive
explanation about this issue.

I have been running cygwin & sshd on the server, using the default
sshd_config scripts and running the service as the sshd_server user with
the appropriate permissions. The services have been working, but now
they are not. Perhaps a Win2K3 update changed some permissions on the
OS, but nothing else obvious was changed on this server.

Now the remote ssh connections work fine if the /var/empty directory is
owned by administrator & the service is started from the command line as
"/usr/sbin/sshd -D". But when /var/empty is owned by sshd_server and the
service is started via the admin/service console, no remote logins are
possible. The application event  log displays (among other things)
"Fatal: seteuid: 500 Permission denied."

What is recommended to correct this problem?

Thanks.