xemacs marking a buffer as read-only

Mark Newsam Mark.Newsam@microemissive.com
Wed Dec 19 17:31:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

   I have been having a problem with xemacs running on cygwin and
writing to files on a network drive which are handled by a OpenSUSE 10.2
server running samba 3.3.  It seems that if the file already existed
then there is no problem with editing the file and saving it.  But I
cannot create a new file in xemacs, I get a message "File not found and
directory write-protected", but I can create one using 'nano'.

The permissions for the network mapped directories are:

~: ll /cygdrive/
total 0
drwxrwxr-x+ 18 Administrators SYSTEM 0 Dec 18 13:46 c/
drwxr-xr-x  25 mnewsam        None   0 Dec  9 23:21 p/
drwxr-xr-x  78 mnewsam        None   0 Dec 19 11:28 s/
drwxr-xr-x  30 mnewsam        None   0 Dec 18 08:47 t/
drwxr-xr-x  13 mnewsam        None   0 Aug  9 09:45 z/

   Other PCs I have tried to setup to use xemacs have also had the
problem as described below.

> I am changing the subject here because this problem is
> cygwin/xemacs-specific only, so it has nothing to do with smb
> permissions because I can touch and edit the same file with nano and
> save properly. Same with vi. It's entirely xemacs.

I have attached the cygcheck -svr and if there is any other information
required please ask.

Cheers,
    Mark