Ruby on Rails 2.0.2/Cygwin Bug

Mike Boone boonedocks@gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:42:00 GMT 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 11:59 PM, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> Well, /dev/urandom certainly exists in Cygwin.  I'm not a Ruby expert, but
> considering that adding a puts() before the file open seems to fix it, I'd
> look somewhere in the Ruby code.  But you can try running the original
> under strace to see what exactly Ruby is trying to do with /dev/urandom.

I ran strace ruby /usr/bin/rails test_app > strace.txt, and it
generated 54MB of text. It looks like the last 100 lines or so might
be relevant, but I don't know how to decipher them. The "No such file
or directory - /dev/urandom" occurs toward the bottom.

http://boonedocks.net/code/rails-urandom-strace.txt

I'd appreciate it if anyone is willing to have a look. I guess my next
step might be to rerun the strace with the puts() statement in there
and see what the difference is.

Thanks,
Mike.
http://boonedocks.net/mike/