Use remote graphical program

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Thu Dec 27 18:51:00 GMT 2007

horacioemilio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use a remote program which is installed on a remote linux
> machine. In these situations I usually do;
>
> 0) on my windows machine I start cygwin and afterwards use startxwin.sh
>
> 1) ssh -X name-of-the-gateway-machine
>
> 2) ssh -X name-of-the-linux-machine-inside-the-remote-network
>
> 3) program-name &
>
> and programs like emacs or firefox appear on my desktop.
>
> But for some other program which uses more advanced graphics it does not
> work, I get the following error message;
>
> user@machine:~> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0"
> .
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0".

<snip>

> Do you know how could I overcome this situation ?

This is more appropriately directed to the Cygwin X list.  I've reset the
"Reply-To" there.  Please send any follow-up the the Cygwin X list.

 From the above, it's clear the application you're trying to use wants
to access the underlying hardware (via OpenGL).  This is not supported
in the current Cygwin X server.  I believe there is a MinGW version which
has some support for this though.  You may want to investigate that.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746