Mac, cygwin, flash

Barbara Shirtcliff bshirt2@uic.edu
Thu Dec 27 18:56:00 GMT 2007

Hi gracious experts!

Please don't flame me.  I'm a mac user, but I used to use cygwin, back
when I was a kid and didn't get to choose my operating system.  Well,
I have a 4 GB Flash drive coming in the mail (incredibly, it is the
size of a half-smoked cigar), and I was wondering if I could justify
my purchase by putting cygwin onto it so that I can use emacs and a
latex processor on any desktop.  I found the post describing how to
put cygwin onto a flash drive
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html), but this
description requires a working installation on a windows machine.

Unfortunately, the desktops to which I have access are feeble, and I
would not want to spend 55 hours downloading and getting everything to
work there.

Is there a way for me to acquire a working cygwin dist from here, from
my speedy old powerbook G4?

Cheers,
Bar

--
Barbara Shirtcliff
PhD Student

"Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a
passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out."
                        --Samuel Johnson

A man is morally free when, in full possession of his living humanity,
he judges the world, and judges other men, with uncompromising
sincerity.
                        --George Santayana