Eliminating -mno-cygwin from gcc.

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 5 16:37:00 GMT 2007

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:06:41AM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> The discussion has been to augment 'setup.exe' in a way as to provide users
>>> with feedback about "important" package changes in general.  It has come up
>>> in the context of the gcc change but would have to apply generally.
>>> "Important" would be defined by the maintainer by some mechanism.
>>> Presumably, every release of package 'foo' does not trigger the "important"
>>> flag. ;-)
>> Hmm, there might be a catch-22 here. How do we force people to update
>> their setup.exe?
>
> Doesn't setup.exe warns if the setup.ini being used has a different
> version number?

Oh, ok, I was thinking that dealt with the package list, not the version
of setup.exe. (Actually IIRC there are both, so I wasn't remembering the
setup.exe version warning. Maybe because I've been using the
still-not-official 2.551 for so long :-).)

> In any event, we are, of course, going to send out details in
> cygwin-announce.

...and we all know how effective that is? :-)

>> (What about a change that does not affect setup.exe itself? Maybe a
>> package that most things depend on that allows a post-install script to
>> display a dialog? Or was that the plan already?)
>
> I suppose that you could add a post-install script but it is too late at
> that point.  This would force a normal cygwin user into a reinstall frenzy
> from which they might not ever recover.  It might be better than nothing,
> though.

Hmm... a pre-remove wouldn't work, right? (Those come from the old package?)

I agree it wouldn't help with 'oops, I didn't *really* want to install
that', but at least it ensures that the messages get read. Maybe add a
file to the package along-side the post-installer; the post-installer
could display it if present, and setup.exe could also display (and then
remove) it, so the post-installer trick is only used when/if people
don't upgrade setup.exe.

--
Matthew
This message is non-smoking