Download Cygwin???

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 9 02:51:00 GMT 2007

    * Brian Keener  wrote:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-02/msg00225.html>

-------------------------

Brian D wrote:
>  ?Is there any way that I can d/l Cygwin, with the packages that I
>  need, at my workplace, then write a CD-R and take it home for
>  installation??? ?Comments or advice???

Sure - don't see why not - when you run the setup.exe program select the
option
for download only and then place them in whatever folder you want.  Burn
that
folder to CD and then when you get it home you can run setup.exe again
and this
time select the the option for install from local and select the path
where the
files are now - either the cd or where you copied to your hard drive.

________________

Two comments:
1) CD file formats don't always accept the long directory names created
by cygwin setup, so it is safer to zip or tar the files
before copying to CD.
2) You can also install from net (rather than download from net), since
all the downloaded compressed files are retained.   Make sure  setup.exe
is in the directory with the compressed files, zip that directory,
transfer via CD,  then use setup.exe with the  "install from disk"
option.  That way you can check out your installation before
transferring or archiving.  Without remembering the details, I think
install-from-net also prevents duplicate file downloads whenever
downloading is interrupted and then completed later.