Help. Cygwin corrupting files

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:25:00 GMT 2007


On 2/12/07, Matthew Woehlke  wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> > I have no idea what this Daemon tools thing is. Hooks into the file
> > system. Gee that's beginning to sound like a root-kit!
>
> Last I checked, it is a program to allow you to mount CD images as "real
> drives". Since it is supposed to make them look "real" enough to even
> fool certain copy protection schemes (and since Windows doesn't have
> built-in iso9660-over-loopback mount support like Linux does), I'm not
> surprised that it "hooks into the file system". Actually, if anything I
> would be surprised if it could do its thing *without* doing so.
>
> A "benevolent" rootkit, perhaps?
>
> --
> Matthew
> Congratulations! You've won a free trip to the future! All you have to
> do to claim your prize is wait five minutes...
>
>

DaemonTools installs a driver that creates a fake SCSI subsystem where
your ISOs are mounted.

It 'hooks in' just like any other driver.  I have no idea what magic
it does to do its job though.

I have it installed on a few systems that also run cygwin and I have
not had the problems being described here.

I am not used the latest / greatest DaemonTools however since I am
under the impression that it has become adware if you don't buy it.

-Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list