ls not showing anything - sometimes

Tue Feb 13 17:04:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:06:29AM -0500, Chuck wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>You have no basis for jumping on every potential cockpit error and
>>claim it is YA occurrence of your problem.  I don't know what is
>>causing your problem but the problem reported in this thread is likely
>>to have been caused by exactly what I said.
>>

>Why on earth do you think I'm jumping on every problem as being my
>problem?  I have limited this discussion to one problem - my problem -
>all along.  Another poster mentioned having the same symptom.  The
>*exact* same symptomn - no output from ls.  How is that jumping on
>every other error and claiming it's mine?

I apologize for my hyperbole.  What I am trying to get across is that
doesn't benefit anyone to have you respond to messages from anyone who
maintains that they are getting no output as if they had your problem.

>How can it be caused by a missing package when I have used cygwin
>successfully for years,

Once again, I am not saying that the problem that the OP had is the same
as yours.  We have seen the problem shown by the OP before and it has
been caused by a missing package.  Specifically, it has been caused by
a missing cygintl* package.

There is no reason for you to react to this as if I am trying to debug your
problem when I am not.  I don't know why you are not getting this but it
is, IMO, likely that the problem that the OP had is not the same as yours.
Even if it is the same as yours, we need to do some basic sanity checks before
we come to that conclusion.

>You're jumping on me like I haven't followed "the rules". I have
>followed all the directions, read the FAQs, searched the archives,
>posted cygcheck and strace output, and described *my* problem in detail.
>What else am I supposed to do?

I am asking you to let the volunteers in this mailing list debug
problems without your interjecting comments which confuse the issue.
Feel free to try to debug the problem in your own message threads but
please don't confuse other people reporting problems until we've done
some basic narrowing down of root causes and shown that you have similar
problems.

cgf