[ANNOUNCEMENT] EOL for Windows 95/86/Me

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 15 00:08:00 GMT 2007


Brian Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ok, but then, is the problem that the auth dll *is* cygwin1.dll, or else
>> why wouldn't the reboot only be needed when you update the auth dll?
>> (Does the auth dll need cygwin1.dll or would it be possible to make it
>> only the other way around? Maybe the auth dll can have a hook to allow
>> "stopping" and "starting" it so it can let go of cygwin1.dll and allow
>> an update?)
>>
>> ...is there a link somewhere with general information on "Authentication
>> DLL's"?
> 
> To save Corinna some typing, it would help if you'd review the following
> thread:
> 
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-11/msg00000.html

Thanks for pointing that out. So, to make sure I understand, if I 
upgrade from e.g. cygwin-1.7.1-1 to cygwin-1.7.1-4, I do *not* need to 
reboot (but from e.g. 1.7.1-1 to 1.7.2-1 I do)? Also, what enforces that 
(and more to the point, is it something a user might choose to circumvent)?

-- 
Matthew
<insert witty signature here>


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list