Slow compile issue with cygwin make since v1.5.17

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 17:51:00 GMT 2007

On 2/15/07, Dan Shumuk  wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have been having a problem with using v1.5.24 of cygwin since
> cygwin.dll v1.5.17.  Installing the lastest version of cygwin causes
> our autogenerated slickedit make files to compile very slowly in
> cygwin. Upon further investigation we found the CPU time is limited to
> approximately 10% when this problem is present as opposed to the
> normal 100%.  If we install v1.5.24 on a VMWare XP SP1 setup
> everything works normally.
>
> I've tried settting the path to exactly the same as the system that is
> running properly with no luck. I've also tried running the system free
> of our network to remove the network mounts, the same problem still
> exists.  The only differences between the two systems that I can think
> of is that novell, or norton antivirus, and SP2 is installed the
> machine with the problem.  The problem is present on any system where
> we reinstall or upgrade cygwin. Any ideas?
>
> Attached is the output of cygcheck -s -r on a machine that has the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

My money is on Norton AV as the problem.

I found some old notes in the archive:
http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2002-08/msg00050.html

It's a WAG for sure, but considering how most new AV software hooks
into every single running application and checks it for suspicious
actions, it's a good one.

If you can't tell Norton to ignore everything under your cygwon root,
you can try uninstalling it.