1.5.24: ftp produces "Operation not permitted" error for some commands

Peter Torpey patorpey@azasta.org
Mon Feb 19 08:50:00 GMT 2007

I have just installed Cygwin v1.5.24 under XP Pro SP1. When trying to use
/usr/bin/ftp, I can connect to ftp servers and execute some commands.
However, for commands that use a data channel such as ls, put, and get, the
command fails with the "Operation not permitted" message as in this example:

ftp> cd board
250 CWD command successful
ftp> pwd
257 "/webdocs/board" is current directory.
ftp> ls
ftp: bind: Operation not permitted
ftp> put file.txt
ftp: bind: Operation not permitted
ftp> get file.txt
ftp: bind: Operation not permitted

I have confirmed that programs such as ssh, sftp, and
c:\windows\system32\ftp do not seem to have any related issues.

Any assistance as to how I might be able enable the use of these commands
would be greatly appreciated.