FW: Re: [emacs_user@hotmail.com: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed

Jan Djärv jan.h.d@swipnet.se
Mon Feb 19 09:02:00 GMT 2007

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 08:26:36AM +0100, Jan Dj??rv wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>If someone is positing that one of several functions possibly isn't
>>>working in cygwin why not report exactly which function that would be?
>>>I.e., a little more work than reposting speculation would be
>>>appreciated.
>>
>>I did that comment, it is not speculation.  I currently have no W32
>>machine, hence no cygwin at all.
>
> So if you have no way to verify anything then it sounds like it would be
> speculation by definition.  Speculation isn't a bad word but speculating
> doesn't actually do any good until someone can confirm the speculation.
> Since I doubt that anyone here is going to download emacs to satisfy a
> speculation that cygwin's API is broken, we obviously need more details
> from people who care about this.

The code in question in glib looks like this:

static gpointer
allocator_memalign (gsize alignment,
                     gsize memsize)
{
   gpointer aligned_memory = NULL;
   gint err = ENOMEM;
#if     HAVE_COMPLIANT_POSIX_MEMALIGN
   err = posix_memalign (&aligned_memory, alignment, memsize);
#elif   HAVE_MEMALIGN
   errno = 0;
   aligned_memory = memalign (alignment, memsize);
   err = errno;
#elif   HAVE_VALLOC
   errno = 0;
   aligned_memory = valloc (memsize);
   err = errno;
#else
   /* simplistic non-freeing page allocator */
#endif

The #else part only calls malloc, and I assumed that it works on cygwin.  It
would be a small thing to figure out which part is used on cygwin if the
config.h was available.

> i.e.:
>
>>I don't know how the original poster configured Gtk+, I don't know
>>which version of cygwin he/she has, I don't know which version of Gtk+
>>he/she has.  I only tried to find out if Emacs could fix this somehow,
>>which it can't.  If the original poster (emacs_user@hotmail.com) can
>>send in his/hers config.h from the Gtk+ configuration, we can figure
>>out what function we are talking about.
>
> So, basically you're saying "a little more work" is required.

Yes, checking config.h for glib.

	Jan D.