ls output still truncated

Tue Feb 20 19:25:00 GMT 2007

Chuck wrote:
> Folks I could really use some help here. I still cannot get the ls
> command to work reliably. It worked for years and about two weeks ago
> started sputtering.  I have completely unstalled all cygwin packages,
> deleted the directories, and reinstalled from scratch. Even just
> installing the bare mimimum packages and running a bash shell without X
> or even a .profile, ls still fails to output anything 50% of the time.
>
> One other observation I've made is there's a similar program named
> "dir.exe" in the /usr/bin directory. It seems to do pretty much the same
> thing as ls. In fact the file sizes and timestamps are even the same. It
> works every time. I could just alias ls=/usr/bin/dir but that seems more
> like a work-around rather than fixing the real problem. Can anyone help
> with this? TIA

Can you trim it down to a simple directory with a file or two?  If not,
can you determine what is key to making it happen?  You may have mentioned
these before but I don't recall and didn't see them in my review of the
thread:

   - Do you see this when running locally?  From ssh?
   - Does it reproduce in bash?  In bash run from cmd.exe?
   - Is CYGWIN environment variable still unset?

Holliston, MA 01746