gracebat runs in X, but not as a system call from a perl script

moka@hol.gr moka@hol.gr
Wed Feb 21 08:50:00 GMT 2007

I do startxwin to open X and  then do
gracebat <parameters>
this does what I want, namely produce a jpeg file

Now if I try this for a perl script(run from X)
system(gracebat <parameters>)

i.e. the exact same line that produced the right result
I get an error.

I guess the reason is that I am using the activestate perl instead of the
cygwin
 perl; anyway there were reasons for that, not sure if valid or not[the reason
 was getting DBD::Oracle to work, which was a huge pain].
So I guess "system" to perl is whatever system Activestate was installed for,
i.e. Windows.
 The question is:
Is it possible to get around this?
Can I tweak the system command so that it executes  gracebat(but
 otherwise use Activestate, e.g.  for Oracle DBI queries?