Two short scripts for Cygwin-Windows interoperation

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Jan 5 03:51:00 GMT 2007

Rex Godby wrote:
> Two tiny Cygwin shell scripts may be of use. Each script has a single
> active line, which I include here (to try these from the command line,
> of course replace $1 with your desired argument):
>
> 1. To quickly find files and directories in "My Documents" and Desktop
> (down to a certain depth):
>
> find "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/$USER/Desktop" \
> "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/$USER/My Documents" \
> -maxdepth 3 | grep "$1"
My desktop is empty and I keep nothing under C:\Documents and Settings
nor "My Documents". In fact I've hacked them out of my registry. I have
C:\Home\$USER (known to Cygwin as ~$USER) and no "My Documents"
anywhere. And again, my desktop has nothing on it.
> 2. To open an Explorer window in a specified directory (given in
> Cygwin style), or to open a document in the proper Windows application:
>
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/explorer `cygpath -w "$1"`
They're are lots of methods for this. Indeed simply type "explorer ."
works! Need it shorter "alias e=explorer" then "e ."!

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Just for today, I will not sit in my living room all day in my