Exclude cygwin folder from malware scans?

Bobby McNulty snyder100@bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 8 00:56:00 GMT 2007

Fred Ma wrote:
> Fred Ma wrote:
>> After some surfing, I haven't found any evidence of malware targetting
>> cygwin.  I'm considering excluding the massive file tree from scans
>> (AV, SpyBot, AdAware).  I'd be interested in more experienced opinions
>> about this.  Thanks.
>
> Larry Hall:
>> Any such reports on this list in the past have later been shown to
>> be problems with the software that claims to have found a fault in
>> Cygwin.  Such is the reasoning behind the following FAQ:
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.virus>
>>
>> There has actually been more evidence to support that virus
>> scanners, firewalls, and spyware detection programs *cause* Cygwin
>> problems by interfering with its proper operation.  You can see such
>> reports and the subsequent resolutions (un-install faulty security
>> software) in the email archives.
>
> I haven't had any problems in that regard (malware scanners
> interfering with cygwin or having false positives), though I don't
> doubt that it has happened before.  I was more wondering about the
> wisdom of taking the plunge and excluding the cygwin directory tree
> from future scans based on the past track record of not being
> targeted.
>
> --

I would. In fact, with Norton Antivirus, AVG and some of the others, you
can individually select
the directory.
I just got a new computer the week before last. Came with PC Cillian.
Hate it cause it only lasts 2 monthes. I put  Norton on. Norton
systemworks. and internet security.
Works like a charm.
Its a AMD 64 Athlon Duo Core.
Not bad. Beats the pants off of my old system.
Cygwin works like a charm.
ANd I have never encountered a problem with Cygwin and Norton because i
close out Cygwin when I am done with it.
Cygwin works on Windows XP Media center edition 2005 just fine.
Waiting on Vista to try it there.