make keeps an open handle to a file, can't delete parent directory

Thu Jan 25 00:10:00 GMT 2007

Alexander Sotirov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with GNU make 3.81 on cygwin 1.5.22. It looks like a
> problem with cygwin and not make, but I am not sure exactly what's causing it.
>
> I reduced my makefile to a minimal testcase and attached it to this email. The
> makefile creates a foo/bar/ directory and then tries to remove it with rm -rf
> foo. The rm command successfully removes the 'bar' directory, but then fails to
> remove 'foo' because it's not empty. Running ls on foo shows that there is a
> 'bar' directory entry, it it doesn't have any ownership or timestamp information.
>
> The output from running make is shown below:
>
> asotirov@deter-alex foo $ make
> mkdir foo
> mkdir foo/bar
> asotirov@deter-alex foo $ make clear
> rm -rf foo
> rm: cannot remove directory `foo': Directory not empty
> make: [clear] Error 1 (ignored)
> ls -la foo
> ls: cannot access foo/bar: No such file or directory
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x+ 3 asotirov None 0 Jan 24 12:45 .
> drwxr-xr-x+ 3 asotirov None 0 Jan 24 12:45 ..
> make: *** [clear] Error 1
>
> Once make terminates, the 'bar' directory entry disappears and we can delete the
> foo directory.

That's a Windowsism.  You should see better results with a recent snapshot:

<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

It would be great if you tested your case with a snapshot and report back
your findings.

Holliston, MA 01746