bug with built-in commands in bash when redirecting output

Norton Allen allen@huarp.harvard.edu
Sun Jan 28 21:50:00 GMT 2007

>The following one liner illustrates a bug in sh:
>$ /bin/bash -c '/bin/bash -cx '\''x=`echo hello`'\''' > @x
>++ echo hello
>+ x=$'hello\r'
>$

I'm wondering if the problem I am seeing is from the same source. I find
that 'apachectl stop' no longer works since a recent cygwin update. I
can see that the PIDFILE is being written with a \r\n line ending.
'apachectl stop' then reads the file with

    PID=`cat $PIDFILE`

$PID then includes the \r character, and the subsequent kill operation
fails as a result.

Is there something that changed recently that is causing this to fail
now? I'm pretty sure this worked until recently.

Norton Allen