Interference between instances on MS-Windows

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 5 19:31:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 05 July 2007 17:17, Bob McConnell wrote:
>> Sending a copy of it to one support tech to
>> debug that vendor's library does not constitute distribution, AFAICT.
>
>   Utterly comprehensively wrong.  Sorry.

Really?

"You may convey covered works to others for the sole purpose of having
them make modifications exclusively for you, or provide you with
facilities for running those works, provided that you comply with the
terms of this License in conveying all material for which you do not
control copyright. Those thus making or running the covered works for
you must do so exclusively on your behalf, under your direction and
control, on terms that prohibit them from making any copies of your
copyrighted material outside their relationship with you."

As I read that, it states that Bob can indeed send someone a copy "for
the sole purpose of having them make modifications exclusively for you"
and doing so would not cause Bob's modifications to become GPL'd (with
the caveat that Bob's changes cannot be distributed by the other party,
IOW this is no more a loophole than intra-corporate "distribution"). It
isn't clear if sending a private copy under such terms for the purpose
of debugging could qualify, but it seems to me one could make an
argument for that.

Granted, the above text is from GPLv3 however (I didn't check if GPLv2
is similar, although if Bob'd program is "v2 or later" I don't think it
matters).

(I would TITTLL if it was on gmane :-(, not that Cygwin's LL seems
particularly more appropriate than any other Cygwin forum. If anyone
does TITTLL, please CC me.)

--
Matthew
Disadvantage: Bad Puns [-5]