naim fails to work with screen

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sat Jul 7 22:30:00 GMT 2007

[redirected from -apps]

Andrew Schulman schrieb:
>> Package looks good and works fine.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> I forgot to mention that detaching and reattaching sessions works fine in
> all terminals AFAIK, except that in a DOS console you have to set
> CYGWIN=tty before opening the console.  Otherwise reattaching is likely to
> fail, and you'll have to remove the dead session with -wipe, and probably
> manually terminate the child processes too.
>
> I've tried reattaching in rxvt, xterm, and PuTTYcyg, and it's always worked
> fine for me, but PuTTYcyg is the only one I've used a lot.  Test reports
> from different terminals will be welcome.
>
>> Just the one and only cygwin app that detects it internally, naim, fails
>> to work with screen. But this is a naim problem, not screen.
>
> Detects what internally?  screen?  So you mean that naim looks to see if
> it's running in screen, and refuses to do so?

$ nirc
Attempting to restart from within screen (run nirc --noscreen to skip
this behaviour)...
[screen is terminating]

$ nirc ReiniUrban irc.freenode.net --noscreen
Initializing ncurses... done: LINES=37 COLS=80
Checking for large enough screen dimensions... done
Enabling color support... done: COLORS=8 COLOR_PAIRS=64
Checking for enough colors... done
Initializing default colors... done
Initializing color pairs... done

  Topics:
????????????? IRC
   /help topics   /help about    /help keys     /help settings /? You
are offline
Type /help or visit http://naim.n.ml.org/ for more information.?
    #naim
[22:11:01] *** Added n (Dan Reed) [naim author] to your permanent buddy
list.
[22:11:01] *** I have gone ahead and opened a new "connection" window
for IRC.
                I'm going to try to connect to IRC now, so wish me luck.
[22:11:01] *** Connecting to IRC on server ReiniUrban.
[22:11:01] *** [CONNECT] Unable to connect: Connection failed (Unknown host)
----- Log file opened 2007-07-07T22:11 -----
10:11PM --noscreen on #naim                  [IRC (not connected)] naim

See the last status line:
   The first error is that the option --noscreen is taken as nick.

/IRC:connect ReiniUrban irc.freenode.net
works ok then.

Next session:
$ nirc ReiniUrban irc.freenode.net
Attempting to restart from within screen (run nirc --noscreen to skip
this behaviour)...

[22:19:29] *** [CONNECT] Unable to connect to IRC: Invalid username, invalid
                nickname.
[22:19:29] *** Attempting to reconnect using a different name...
[22:19:29] *** Connecting to IRC.
[22:19:40] *** [CONNECT] Unable to connect to IRC: Invalid username, invalid
                nickname.
[22:19:40] *** Attempting to reconnect using a different name...
[22:19:40] *** Connecting to IRC.
[22:19:51] *** [CONNECT] Unable to connect to IRC: Invalid username, invalid
                nickname.
[22:19:51] *** Attempting to reconnect using a different name...
[22:19:51] *** Connecting to IRC.
  10:20PM -3n_screen on #naim     [Ctrl-N to :SERVER] [IRC (not
connected)] naim

/IRC:connect ReiniUrban irc.freenode.net

Minor nitpick: Deattaching with Ctrl-D is not possible because of the
internal key binding to kill-line.

Reattaching from another (puttyCyg) window works ok:
$ screen -ls
There is a screen on:
         2776.tty2.reini (Attached)
1 Socket in /tmp/uscreens/S-rurban.

$ screen -d -r 2776.tty2.reini
Other window prints:
[remote detached]

This window gets the screen.
But pressing a key in the new window gets:
assertion "bwin->nwin.logfile != NULL" failed: file
"/tmp/naim-0.11.8.2.1/src/buddy.c", line 779

--
Reini Urban