cygserver error

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Jul 11 15:22:00 GMT 2007

On 11 July 2007 16:04, Lester Ingber wrote:

> I do now see that if I start Cygwin using C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat (without
> putting `set CYGWIN=server' in my cygwin.bat, since I have it in my
> Windows Envrionment), I do not get the Event Viewer errors I reported.

> bash --login -i

> I have been starting Cygwin with a script using Xming, Xwin or Xwin_GL:

> xterm &

  Hmmm, one of those is a login shell, and the other is not.  That may well
make the difference.  If you add the "-ls" option to the xterm invocation,
does it then behave the same as when you start via cygwin.bat?

> I get the errors I reported previously in this thread with or without
> putting `set CYGWIN=server' in my cygwin.bat.  (cygwin.bat is not being
> called.)  My xterm windows come up fine.
>
> Unfortunately there was no clue in my Event Viewer log that this had
> anything to do with X.

  It isn't anything to do with X; it's to do with the way the environment is
configured.  And probably the underlying problem with your service (as
illustrated by the two separate ways of invoking shells above) is that the
environment isn't set right.

  Take a look at the difference in your cygcheck output between the sshd
config and the cygserver config; I think you need to specify CYGWIN=server in
the environment for that particular service, not in your per-user windows
environment.

  So try re-running the cygrunsrv command you used to set up cygserver, and
this time add the option "-e CYGWIN=server".  See this section of the docs for
an example:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html#use-cygserver

    cheers,
      DaveK